Sunday, July 24, 2011

Going Injection....!!!

This is my newest project for The Retro... Going injection...!!!

It was about a month ago when I visited a junkyard near my home, owned by Pak Haji Agus.
He has not only one, but seven K10A engines he had just brought down from Singapore junkyards. Some even came complete with matic trasnsmissions. Hmmm... really tempting... imagined if the Retro has a 1000cc turbo intercooler engine and automatic transmission in it... cool, eh..??

But after having a lot discussions with some friend, including Edward and Sigit, I decided not to do the engine swap into the K10A. The reason was that K10A was such a rare engine. It is hard to get the spare parts, even in Singapore. Everything has to be ordered directly from Japan... hufffhhh...

But I just couldn't resist the desire... so I chose to do the conversion of Retro stock carburetor engine into an EFI engine.

I contacted Sofyan, a KC buddy who had done a carb-to-EFI conversion to his Karimun before. His experiment was actually not really satisfying, as the idle control was not working well. He used a stock Suzuki Carry 1.0 injection kit, including Carry's ECU. He's getting frustrated enough so that finally he converted back the engine into standard and sold his Karimun... hehehe... what a waste...

Then I bought the injection kit from Sofyan at a very friendly priced, compared to Pak Haji Agus offered me. Sofyan gave me everything. The Carry intake manifold, all of sensors, injectors (complete with the fuel rail), the throttle body, the ECU, the wiring harness. He even gave Carry stock camshaft and delco as a bonus... hehehe... thanks, bro...

Here's the parts :


I believe that he's failed the conversion because he's still maintained the use of Carry ECU. In my opinion, as we couldn't use the Carry intake manifold (the runner and the plenum is too long to be fitted in Karimun engine bay), and replaced by a fully customized intake, then the ECU should be remapped to accomodate the changes of volume, intake pressure, and so on. Unfortunately, the Carry ECU was sturdy enough, not allowing any reprogramming.
Based on my discussion with some friends and also browsing in some modification forums, including the Indonesia well-known 'modcom', I decided to use the MegaSquirt standalone ECU. It's totally an 'open source' ECU, so that even we can build it by ourselves. They gave everything. The schematic, the PCB layout, the source code, the part list, manual, tuning software... everything's free...!!!  
In fact, there's another way to manipulate the stock ECU by piggybacking with such a component like Dastek Unichip, but I prefer the standalone solution, though.

With my digital electronic background, I found this is very interesting since the unit is really opened for modification. I purchased the MegaSquirt directly from the USA. Since this will be my first time dealing with it, I ordered the fully assembled unit. Next time (in other project, I hope...) I would take the kit option or even build the whole unit by myself.
Additionaly, I also purchased and EDIS Ignition Set from e-Bay. The plan is when I have successfully finished the conversion to EFI project, I would continue it to the distributorless ignition project, since the MegaSquirt can also manage this kind of ignition control as well.... hehehe.... sounds very ambitious, eh...??

But now first thing first. The carb-to-EFI conversion came first to my attention. The MegaSquirt is still on it's way, though.... Seems like I would started the conversion after Ramadhan...

1 comment:

  1. I just bought my first car 2 years ago. It's the latest Katana, and I'm interested to convert it to EFI then I found this old article. Hope you still own this blog om Yonski.
    So I've few questions, these parts :
    - The Carry intake manifold
    - all of sensors
    - injectors (complete with the fuel rail)
    - the throttle body
    - the ECU
    - the wiring harness
    are those the only key difference between F10A EFI and Carb?
    I don't find any sellers who list those parts on current marketplaces, do you mind sharing the price, both offered by the junkyard and om Sofyan?
    Well I didn't plan to convert anytime soon, just for sake of budgeting hehe
    Hatur nuhun..

    ReplyDelete